Electrical stimulation is an evidenced-based treatment that has been shown to be effective for reducing impairment and pain. This one-hour self-study course will introduce you to the basic principles of electrical stimulation along with the physiological effects and clinical applications. Indications, contraindications, types of current, waveforms, and parameter descriptions will also be discussed.
- Expand the clinician’s knowledge regarding the principles of electrical stimulation.
- Identify common indications and contraindications.
- Identify various forms of electrical stimulation currently available and explain their purpose.
- Describe the effects of electrotherapy on muscle tissue.
- Explain the basic elements of electrotherapy and define individual parameters used.
- Identify appropriate electrode placement, setup, and configuration.
- Understand the principles of tissue impedance and the impact on current flow.
- Brief overview of the history and principles of electrical stimulation
- Indications and contraindications
- Types of electrical stimulation currently available
- Review of the human tissue response to electricity
- Waveforms overview
- Electrotherapy clinical application techniques
- Pain treatment